Monday, October 31, 2011

Hoot Owl Cookies



HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Hoot Owl cookies are one of my favorite Halloween treats that I grew up with.  I've never tried making them before, but this year I got a little more ambitious.  So after receiving detailed instructions from the Master (my mom), I gave it a try.  They were slightly more difficult than I anticipated, but all in all, not too bad.  I was mildly frustrated during the process as my owls were falling apart, but luckily after some mending and baking in the oven, they turned out ok.  In case you're interested, here's how to make them:

Make a double batch of sugar cookie dough:
1/4 c. butter
1/2 c. shortening
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

Mix butter, shortening, sugar, eggs, and vanilla thoroughly.  Measure flour by dipping method or by sifting.  Stir flour, baking powder, and salt together; blend in.  Divide dough in half.  Blend 2 squares unsweetened chocolate (2 oz)*, melted and cooled, into one half.  Chill at least one hour.  Roll chocolate dough into two 10-inch oblong "snakes."  Roll out half of white dough onto a large piece of flour-covered waxed paper.  Place chocolate snake on top of  white dough and roll the white dough around the chocolate snake.  Do the same with the other chocolate snake.  Chill snake rolls again for at least an hour.  Heat oven to 400.  Remove waxed paper from dough rolls and cut into 1/8" thick slices.  Position two slices next to each other on an ungreased baking sheet.  Pat the rolls together and pinch upper corners to resemble ears.  Place chocolate chips on each dark circle for eyes and a whole cashew in the middle for a beak.  Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.

*I didn't actually use baker's chocolate.  Since I only had big chocolate chips specifically made for dipping (Wilton brand), I just used that and they still taste great.

No comments:

Post a Comment